As you already know, cricket is the most popular sport in India and the rest of South Asia. In fact, cricket is so popular that it’s closer to a religion than just a sport. Naturally, betting on cricket is also popular in the region and nothing is holier than the Indian Premier League.
Latest news: IPL has been postponed to the 15th of April.
To become successful at betting, regardless of the sport, you need a few things. Firstly, you should have an interest in the sport or tournament your betting on, second you need knowledge about the sport and the participating games and athletes, and finally, you need access to good betting sites and tips.
Lucky for you, we provide all that and much more in the following guide so that you can prepare yourself and get ready for the 2020 IPL season.
Table of Contents:
- IPL 2020: A Brief Introduction
- The Teams
- The Schedule
- IPL Betting Tips and Predictions 2020
- IPL Predictions 2020
- Top IPL Betting Tips
- Basic Betting Strategies
- Where to Find Betting Information
- The Best IPL Cricket Betting Sites
- The Best Apps for Online IPL Betting
- IPL Live Streaming Sites
- How To Deposit Money to Bet on IPL
- Responsible Betting
IPL 2020: A Brief Introduction
IPL 2020 is the 2020 season of the Indian Premier League the 13th edition of the tournament. It’s the biggest Twenty20 cricket league in the world where the 8 biggest Indian cricket teams play each other to determine who dominates the sport.
The league is operated by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the official sponsor is Vivo, which is why IPL 2020 is also referred to as Vivo IPL.
Over the years, IPL has drawn millions of viewers on the stands and even more people watching it on TV, and the tournament is predicted to attract even more viewers this year. The league is a total of 60 games played between March and May with at least one game per day.
To give you an even better idea of how the tournament works and what you can expect, we’ve listed all the participating teams as well as the most important dates below.
IPL 2020 Teams
As mentioned, 8 teams are participating in the IPL 2020. The teams were drawn and the game plan set up in December 2019.
- Chennai Super Kings – Based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, the Super Kings have won three previous IPL titles and will be lead by team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni during this year’s competition
- Delhi Capitals (formerly Delhi Daredevils) – Based in New Delhi, the Capitals have never won an IPL title but are considered favorites for the 2020 season with Shreyas Iyer being the captain.
- Kings XI Punjab – Based in Mohali/Chandigarh, Punjab but because of unrest in the region, they often play their home games at other locations. The Kings have never won an IPL title and their captain is K. L. Rahul.
- Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) – Based in Kolkata and owned by “The King of Bollywood”, Shah Rukh Khan. The Knight Riders have won 2 IPL titles and their 2020 captain is Dinesh Karthik.
- Mumbai Indians – Based in Mumbai, the Mumbai Indians are the defending IPL Champions and the favorite for the IPL 2020 with a total of 4 IPL titles. The team’s captain is Rohit Sharma.
- Rajasthan Royals (RR) – Based in Jaipur, Rajasthan with one previous IPL title. The team’s captain is former Australian National Team captain Steve Smith.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) – Based in Bangalore, Karnataka has never won the IPL and are known internationally as the “underachievers” due to their lack of success despite having some of the world’s best players on the team, including the captain Virat Kohli.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) – Based in Hyderabad, Telangana, the SRH has won one IPL title and many experts consider them to have a fighting chance in the IPL 2020. Their captain is Kane Williamson who also serves as captain for the New Zealand National Team.
IPL 2020 Schedule and timetables
As mentioned, IPL 2020 will be played during the spring of 2020 with a start in late March. There will be a total of 60 games with 54 group games and six playoff games, including the finals.
On February 18, the BCCI released the official league dates and the first IPL 2020 game will be played on March 29. The match is a repeat of the IPL 2019 finals where defending champions Mumbai Indians will face Chennai Super Kings.
- 29 March – Mumbai Indians vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 30 March – Delhi Capitals vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 31 March – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 1 April – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Mumbai Indians
- 2 April – Chennai Super Kings vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 3 April – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Delhi Capitals
- 4 April – Kings XI Punjab vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 5 April – Mumbai Indians vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 5 April – Rajasthan Royals vs. Delhi Capitals
- 6 April – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 7 April – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 8 April – Kings XI Punjab vs. Mumbai Indians
- 9 April – Rajasthan Royals vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 10 April – Delhi Capitals vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 11 April – Chennai Super Kings vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 12 April – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 12 April – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Mumbai Indians
- 13 April – Delhi Capitals vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 14 April – Kings XI Punjab vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 15 April – Mumbai Indians vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 16 April – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 17 April – Kings XI Punjab vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 18 April – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 19 April – Delhi Capitals vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 19 April – Chennai Super Kings vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 20 April – Mumbai Indians vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 21 April – Rajasthan Royals vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 22 April – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Delhi Capitals
- 23 April – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 24 April – Chennai Super Kings vs. Mumbai Indians
- 24 April – Rajasthan Royals vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 26 April – Kings XI Punjab vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 26 April – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Delhi Capitals
- 27 April – Chennai Super Kings vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 28 April – Mumbai Indians vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 29 April – Rajasthan Royals vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 30 April – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 1 May – Mumbai Indians vs. Delhi Capitals
- 2 May – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 3 May – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 3 May – Delhi Capitals vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 4 May – Rajasthan Royals vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 5 May – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 6 May – Delhi Capitals vs. Mumbai Indians
- 7 May – Chennai Super Kings vs. Kolkata Knight Riders
- 8 May – Kings XI Punjab vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 9 May – Mumbai Indians vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 10 May – Chennai Super Kings vs. Delhi Capitals
- 10 May – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore
- 11 May – Rajasthan Royals vs. Mumbai Indians
- 12 May – Sunrisers Hyderabad vs. Kings XI Punjab
- 13 May – Delhi Capitals vs. Rajasthan Royals
- 14 May – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Chennai Super Kings
- 15 May – Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Sunrisers Hyderabad
- 16 May – Kings XI Punjab vs. Delhi Capitals
- 17 May – Royal Challengers Bangalore vs. Mumbai Indians
Note: All games are played at 20:00 Indian Standard Time (UST +05:30).
Following the last game on May 17, the play-offs will be initiated and, as mentioned, the final will be held at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on May 24.
IPL Betting Tips and Predictions
With a better idea of the foundation of IPL 2020, we’re no going to take a look at some more specific IPL betting strategies and tips that you can apply. Just keep in mind that you should always place bets based on your own predictions and analyzes and never completely trust other people’s insight.
IPL Predictions 2020
There are two clear favorites for the IPL 2020 that most experts agree has the biggest chance of taking home the title.
The first team and the top favorite are the Mumbai Indians who, besides being the defending champions, have 4 IPL titles which are more than any other team. For years, they have had one of the strongest lineups in the sport and they recently acquired Australian batsman Chris Lynn, taking the line-up to the next level.
The second team is the Delhi Capitals which is not the typical favorite in IPL since they’ve actually never won a title. However, after some impressive last-minute trades, their team is looking incredibly strong and they stand a very real chance of becoming champions this year.
In addition, the Chennai Super Kings who lost the finals against the Mumbai Indians last year is also looking strong and we expect them to perform at the very highest level throughout the tournament.
The Best IPL Betting Tips
If you’re planning to bet on the IPL 2020, there are a few things that you should keep in mind that will ultimately increase your chances of making a profit. For example, you should always understand the bets you place and it can be a good idea to have a few resources where you find comments and tips about upcoming games.
Basic Betting Tips
The number one rule of sports betting, regardless of which sport your betting on, is to only bet on teams that you know and understand. By doing so, you will have a much higher chance of making accurate predictions and you won’t have to spend as much time researching beforehand. For example, if you’ve always been a diehard Rajasthan Royals fan, you should try to bet mostly on their games.
You also need to understand the different bets that are offered and when to place them. When it comes to cricket betting and especially Twenty20 cricket betting, certain bets are more common and popular than others. This is especially true as a beginner and if you’re new to betting, we suggest you start with the following bets.
- League Winner
- Match Winner
- Best batsman
- Best bowler
- Match favorite (player)
- League favorite (player)
- Toss winner
- First 6 overruns
- Fall of 1st Wicket
- 1st Wicket Method
- 50 scored points in the match?
- 100 scored points in the match?
With that said, there is an almost unlimited number of bets that can be placed and the best IPL betting sites often create their own bets. Also, it’s typically a good idea to limit yourself to a few bets per match and not spread yourself too thin.
Follow expert coverage
As mentioned above, it’s also good practice to not only watch as many of the matches as possible but to follow expert coverage and updates throughout the league. Being the fact that cricket is almost religious in India and that the IPL is one of the biggest events of the year, there is no shortage of good betting resources.
ESPNCRICINFO – is an international cricket platform with the latest news, updated, and predictions for cricket games all over the world. They also have one of the best IPL coverages and can be a very useful resource when betting on the Indian Premier League.
CricBuzz – provides daily updates about all things cricket and they too, have a phenomenal IPL coverage with insight from some of the sports brightest minds. Besides cricket news, the site provides live scores, expert comments, and detailed statistics.
News 18 – the go-to stop for sports news in India and here you can find all the latest and most relevant cricket news.
Moreover, there are several great cricket blogs on the internet where you get access to all sorts of cricket related information from other fans and cricket bettors just like you. At the moment, two of the leading cricket blogs for the IPL 2020 are thecricketblog.com and the crickblog.net. What’s great with using blogs like these is that the information that’s being shared is unfiltered (unlike news media) and unbiased.
The Best IPL Cricket Betting Sites
By now, you’re probably feeling ready to start betting IPL 2020 and other cricket and sports events. And the only thing that stands between you and that is finding the best IPL 2020 betting site for you.
Luckily, there are several amazing cricket betting sites available to Indian players and finding one that offers the bets, tools, and bonuses that you would like to use is not very hard. The only real issue is that the share selection of sites can be a bit overwhelming which is we want to help you out.
The goal with this site is to advise our readers on how to best bet and play online casino games, as well as recommend them the best site for their needs. Because of that, our team of gambling experts has spent hundreds of hours reviewing and evaluating all the betting sites in India. Naturally, we’ve also put together a shortlist of the top IPL 2020 websites, meaning we’ve already done the hard work for you.
All the recommended Indian Premier League sites are fully legal, easy to use, and they all provide all the features you need to excel at IPL betting. With that said, we do suggest that you don’t just pick a sportsbook from our list but that you read through our detailed reviews first. Otherwise, you will fail to recognize which site you think is the best option for you.
|1||10Cric Review||₹10,000 Bonus||20 Freespins||Visit|
|2||LeoVegas Review||₹80,000 Bonus||100 Freespins||Visit|
|3||Royal Panda Review||₹10,000 Bonus||0-120 Freespins||Visit|
|4||Betway Review||₹2500 Bonus||0-20 Freespins||Visit|
|5||ComeOn! Review||₹10,000 Bonus||0 Freespins||Visit|
18+ | T&C's Apply | Responsible Gambling is advised. Casino, Betting and all forms of gambling is an entertainment form that comes with a considerable risk of losing your money. Never play with more than you can afford to lose.
The Best Apps for Online IPL Betting
In India, the use of desktop and laptop computers is quite small compared to the number of people using smartphones. In turn, that means that a great majority of IPL bettors in India use their smartphones and iPads to bet.
Because of this, we have also reviewed and tested all the top IPL betting apps in India and created a list of our favorite recommendations. Now, most of these apps are apps developed by the top IPL betting sites mentioned above, but there are some exceptions.
Our point is that if you don’t want to bet on a computer or you don’t have access to your computer, you can opt for one of the apps we recommend. The best part of using betting apps to bet on the IPL and other sports is that they have become so efficient in recent years that it’s sometimes easier using an app than a computer to bet.
Check out our list of the best apps for IPL and see if you can find one that you like.
Live Streaming Sites
Regardless of the sport you’re interested in, it’s always more fun to bet when you can watch the games in real-time. Of obvious reason, you probably won’t be able to attend that many IPL 2020 matches in person but you can still watch them live.
Many of the matches are live-streamed on TV but it’s usually on sports channels that you have to pay extra for. So in order to combat this issue, many of the leading IPL betting sites offer live streaming of the matches.
Better yet, the matches are usually completely free to watch as long as you have a verified account and have made a deposit. While other sites require you to place at least one bet on the match you want to see. Nevertheless, watching live IPL matches is easier than it’s been in a long time and you can even lay in bed and watch them on your smartphone.
With that said, only a small selection of the top betting sites offers IPL 2020 streaming so you should make your choice carefully. By looking at our recommendations and ready our reviews, you can quickly find the sites that do offer live streaming and register an account with them.
How To Deposit Money to Bet on IPL
The last and final step before you can start betting real money on IPL is to register an account and making a deposit. All Indian betting sites use the same process for this and it goes as follows.
- Click the “Register/Join Now” button on the site you want to use
- Enter your personal information such as name, address, email, etc.
- Verify your account by submitting a copy of your ID (passport, driver’s license, etc)
- Make an initial deposit using your preferred method of payment
And that’s it. You are now ready to start betting on IPL matches. Although, there is one thing to keep in mind. Due to India’s strict gambling laws, many of the biggest banks in the country don’t allow transactions to and from gambling sites. To avoid having issues with this, we always recommend that you use an alternative payment method to fund your account. E-wallets such as Skrill and Neteller are safe options.
Furthermore, when it’s time to withdraw money from a betting site you need just log in to your account, find the withdrawal tab, and initiate your withdrawal. Note that withdrawals can only be done to the same account that you made your initial deposit from.
To sum this guide up we want to encourage you to bet responsibly. There are always risks involved when betting or gambling with real money and you have to be careful. That means you should ever bet using money you can’t afford to lose and you have to set up a budget for yourself and stick with it.
The other risk is related to a gambling addiction which is another reason to be very careful when gambling. If you ever feel like you can’t control the urge to gamble or you think someone close to you is getting addicted, you need to seek help.
Many serious organizations are working with these issues in India and you can read more about them in our complete guide to Responsible Gambling.